[EDIT]: To overcome the overlapping boxes problem discussed below, I merged the boxes in the same building and created another map. Result after merge is available here and here (click on a marker to get details at that location):
(go to the bottom of the page to see the per ballot box results, i.e. before merge)
I just created a map of Ankara with ballot boxes (sandik) colored by the winner party for that ballot box. Here is what I did:
- Dataset comes from CHP (main opposition party) database as YSK (official election institute) has not revealed the vote counts.
— sandık bugları (@sandikbuglari) April 7, 2014
- Go to your Google Drive. Click create. Connect more apps. Choose Fusion Table.
- Filter the previously downloaded xlsx formatted spreadsheet to Ankara ballot boxes only using excel and create a new workbook by copy/pasting to a new spreadsheet and save it as csv.
- Combine ALAN, ILCE and IL fields of the table and create a new column called ADRES using MS Excel’s concatenate function as explained here.
- Created a column KAZANAN to label the party with the highest vote count: =MATCH(MAX(C2:AB2),C2:AB2,0)
- Created another column KRENK for icon/marker type. Here is a list of available markers in Fusion Table Maps. Excel Expression: =IF(B2=1,”small_yellow”,IF(B2=2,”small_red”,IF(B2=3,”small_blue”,”small_green”)))
- Upload your csv file to Fusion Tables. When you click create Fusion Table in the above caps, you are forwarded to import page:
- Google Fusion table automatically geocodes for you if you set the field type for ADRES as location and go to the menu Files>Geocode… NOTE: This process takes very long time. And there supposed to be a daily limit for auto-geocoding for free accounts but it looks like that this somehow was not applied to me.
- It sometimes fails to detect write address. You can manually alter the geocode information by switching to table view and clicking edit the row.
- Edit geocode pops up a map where you can enter an alternative address and hit search button for suggestions or directly enter @lon,lat information into the search box.
- To assign different colors/markers to ballot boxes go to Tools > Change map and click Change Feature Styles. Then choose Use icon specified in a column.
Here is what to improve:
- Ballot boxes in the same address are superimposed.
- Some boxes are mislocated by Google Geocoder.
Here is the output:
Zoom out once to get the view of Ankara by ballot box (before merging & includes every town):